Prayer is the way that we communicate with God. All throughout the Bible, we are encouraged to talk to God because He wants to hear from us, no matter the circumstance. We can pray to ask for help, to thank God when something good happens and to admit when we've made poor choices. Any reason you might call upon a friend, you can call on God through prayer. He is always listening!
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.
Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise.
He will call upon me and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him.
Hebrews 4:16 AMP
Therefore let us approach the throne of grace with confidence and without fear, so that we may receive mercy for our failures and find grace to help in time of need.
Has anyone ever told you to "give it to God"? Did you have any of these thoughts after they said it?
- "What do they know!? It's so easy for them to say that. They don't know what I'm going through!"
- "What is He going to be able to do about this? There is no way out of this mess."
- "There's no way I'm talking to God right now. All I want to do is yell at Him!"
You are not alone. When we are in the shadows of towering obstacles - health scares, experiencing grief, child custody issues and financial battles, it is so easy to feel alone.
Sometimes we think we're in too deep or we're undeserving of help. Other times, we drive ourselves crazy as we obsess over the unknowns. And every once in a while, we just don't want to talk to God because we're so, so angry with Him.
Well we have good news for you, sister!
- You are never alone. He is always with you through everything and He wants to hear from you.
- There is no such thing as "too deep" for Him. He can get you through anything. Pray for wisdom and for His direction.
- His Son's selfless sacrifice covers you in an overflowing, endless grace. Nothing can stop you from seeking His counsel or receiving His help.
- When there are no answers in sight, He can see it all and will use everything for good.
- It's okay to be angry at Him. Tell him just how angry you feel. He can take it. He still wants to hear from you and He still wants to supply everything you need.
There are many different ways people pray. Some close their eyes to avoid distractions, while others keep them open. Some fold their hands and bow their head. Some raise their arms and point their face toward heaven. Some stand and some kneel.
It can be a different experience for each person and each scenario. Many find it helpful to go to a quiet place alone and speak their prayers out loud. There's something special about hearing your own voice in prayer. But the main focus of prayer is to connect with God as your Father and Friend.
There are no perfect words. The only thing required is to be honest and real before Him. He looks past any performance we may try to bring. So bring your heart before Him and see what He will do!